Monday, December 7, 2015

Vampires

Benny Davis

Vampires


Vampires have always been a taboo subject in my own mind. Ever since one night at summer camp when one of my counselors was reading "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". I was about seven years old and there was one story about a boy, who in the middle of the night, saw a couple of bright lights out his window. As he followed them out there, the lights were soon revealed to be a pair of eyes, and the boy was never seen again.

Imagine hearing that story as a seven-year-old boy. I was absolutely petrified, and spending that night in the middle of the woods certainly didn't help.

I tried searching for that story on the internet, but could never find it. But I did read a script about a vampire that a friend of mine wrote, which may be making it to Netflix quite soon. I can’t discuss any details about it, but it is quite a well-written script.

Also, I was working on a film last summer that starred Lucy Fry, one of the actresses in the show “Vampire Academy”. Her and I had an extensive conversation about the show over a drink, and I found it very fascinating how different writers can have completely different visions about vampires.

If you have ever seen a film called “What We do in the Shadows”. You would think that that is not how vampires act in their every day lives. But on the other hand, that’s the beauty of writing for vampire characters and other famous monsters. Anonymity is a powerful weapon.


-Benny Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment