Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Satire and Sci-Fi

Benny Davis

Satire and Sci-Fi



My absolute favorite sci-fi satire would be, not The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, while that is quite a great story. But it is, of course, “Spaceballs”. I am a huge Mel Brooks fan. I would even go so far as to say he is the reason I got into filmmaking in the first place.

When I was about 11 or 12 years old, I saw “Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith” and subsequently went through a long-lasting Star Wars phase. During which, I stumbled across a little film called “Spaceballs”.  It was all my friends at summer camp could talk about. So my cousin and I watched it at home one day, and suddenly we were obsessed with making parodies. We started making our own Star Wars parodies with Legos and claymations. For me, this evolved into a never-ending passion for comedic storytelling and filmmaking. All thanks to Mel Brooks and his genius idea to parody Star Wars.


-Benny Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment