Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Literary Speculation

Benny Davis

Literary Speculation



I have two ultimate, absolute favorite parts of speculative literature that fall into separate categories. One being time travel, and the other being mythology. Mostly Greek mythology, but other mythologies are also interesting.

Don’t ask me why I like either, because I wouldn’t be able to tell you. All I know is that both have interested me, above all others, since I was a small child. All my favorite movies have to do with either time travel or mythology. Some of them have both combined, such as a little film called “Time Bandits” by Terry Gilliam. That is one of my ultimate favorite movies.

Gilliam really has a way of getting into his audience’s imaginations. When I was in high school, I wrote an extensive paper on Terry Gilliam as an auteur. I was the only one in my film class who knew who he is. Shameful, isn’t it?

I like Gilliam a lot because most of his films have to do with either time travel or mythology, or both. “12 Monkeys” is about time travel, “Baron Von Munchhausen” is very mythological, and “Time Bandits” is both, pretty much.


-Benny Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment